Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Love never dies


The following has been graciously shared with Tiger Lilies by Thaddeus who gave his homily Sunday, Nov. 18 in St. Joseph University Parish, Buffalo, NY. 
"Heaven and earth shall pass away
but my words will never pass away."
(Matt 24:35)

What are those words?

Jesus said all the law, prophets and writings are based upon the Great Commandment: love God with all your heart, mind and soul and love your neighbor as yourself.

Love is what we are called to search for in our hearts. The classic stories of the season highlight that, whether Ebenezer Scrooge in A Christmas Carol, Horace P. Bogardus in The Bells of St. Mary or George Bailey, an ordinary person who discovers that this is truly a Wonderful Life!!!

Augustine said, "If you see love, you see the Trinity." Blake wrote, "I sought my soul, a soul I could not see; I sought my God, but my God eluded me; I sought my neighbor and there found all three."

And so I end with this little poetic reflection:

Our cars will rust and fall apart,
condos crumble to the ground,
and even our football team will every year
miss the playoffs.
Everything will go: investments,
worries, honors, pains.
Yet,
“My words will not pass away,”
you say to us.
Jesus, please fill us with your words
which will never pass away.
You are love and love never dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment