Saturday, September 10, 2016

Magic everywhere


An abounding beauty, alive on so many levels, fills this remote place where I live these days. A living canvas of hummingbirds suspended in mid air ballet, hissing summer cicada, croaking frogs in the large pond my rustic home overlooks, and families of deer grazing nearby at the break of dawn and at sunset, leave me breathless. Despite the insufficiency of any technology, I wouldn't trade this experience for anything.

The days are busy with work, but at night, without any reflected light from anywhere, the stars pierce the blackness with their sparkling radiance. The planets, Orion's belt, the dipper, and other constellations are immediately observable. But, perhaps the most awesome, is the Milky Way stretching out beyond my rooftop and peeking through the large oak tree that overshadows my large yard.

Even on a rainy night, you can can glimpse the heavenly spectacle. In June, at the first sight of the firefly dance that lasted most of the summer, one night around midnight I stood under a canopy of sparkling stars as the fireflies flickered all around me, some even landing on my shirt and shorts. I felt immersed in a substance of sparkling light. I couldn't move, and didn't want to move. I stood there for a long time taking in the beauty of what was around and above me, realizing the awesome gift this all is.


______________________

In recent posts, I've talked about perception, having eyes to see, ears to hear. Now I would include all the senses - to smell and feel - and to experience with a deeper, more profound extra sense, an intuitive sense, a spiritual perception that is less intellectual and more soulful, perhaps a kind of ineffable awe. 

We human beings are profoundly blessed with the ability to detect what is in our environment, here and beyond, an interpret it and experience it on that deeper cognitive level. Maybe, despite our awesome ability, we may be so much wrapped up in whatever is on our plate at the time, we don't stop and look, listen to life itself surging its symphony of sight and sound all around us, completely unaware if we perceive it or not. It is what it is, a most beautiful creation, whether or not we perceive it.  

Yet, aren't we designed and consequently meant to perceive it?

No comments:

Post a Comment