Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer light show


Lightning Storm on Mount Hood



Wisdom breaks through the dim unconscious, piercing the hold of that ancient conspiracy of domination and silence. Wisdom awakens the mind to the soul's value and dignity and breathes into the human a voice, a voice that lights the darkness, thundering through the sleepy valley until the whole town is awakened to her power and presence. Wisdom draws off the covers of silence, lifts evil's veil,  rendering it's enchantment powerless.  Wisdom opens the voice of the silent one, and the entire valley resounds with heaven's song at last. 


In the three years I've lived in Oregon, never once has there been a thunder storm here.  I've often missed the thundering summer nights in Buffalo, when the heat index was blistering high and then the cool night air off Lake Erie would burst the heat bubble causing rain, thunder and lightning to light up the night.  I remember as a child, my sisters and I would wake up in excitement at the thunder and lightning and run to our bedroom window, exploding in light and sound and cascading in torrential rain.  


But, in Oregon's Willamette Valley where Portland is, there is rarely ever a thunderstorm.  Bounded by two mountain ranges - the Cascades to the east and the Pacific Ranges to the west, the valley is usually insulated from thunder storms.  But, this morning, in the very early hours a thunder and lightning storm that would intimidate Buffalo's summer light shows roared and rumbled through the area.  It sounded like bombs exploding and for awhile, until the second round rumbled in, I wondered if there were bombs being dropped nearby.


As I watched out the big windows of my treehouse deck, I reflected on the storm, the rare flash lightning and thundering overhead and thought of a deeper storm, and the gift of awareness nature has brought. 


 http://www.katu.com/younews/126106393.html

2 comments:

  1. Was your spirit back on the east coast? This area had a weather display to rival even itself Monday: hail, lightning, downpours, all jumping back & forth over the metro & rural areas. Amazing how you continue to stay 'tuned in' to the energy back east.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeppers. I'm coming back one of these days, sooner rather than later, I hope. You are so right, I've left my heart in Buffalo. And, I'm coming back to get it. Can't wait to see you!

    ReplyDelete