Monday, July 23, 2012

Summer surfing



Summertime and the livin' is easy.  The sun is out, the sand is warm, the wind is in your face and the surf is up. 


A beautiful cresting wall of water teases the serious surfer to ride her, to feel the motion of her vast intercontinental body of water beneath his small, seemingly solid, board on which the surfer clings with toes and heels using every muscle in his legs, stomach, shoulders, arms, neck, twisting, turning, leaning into every move she makes. 


Determined to ride her to the end, his concentration is focused with the strength of an Olympian, set to meet the great challenge as he races with her into the shallows where she suddenly breaks, laughing at him, "Ah, man, if you think you can really ride me, feel what I feel, go where I go, experience the ride of life, try again and again. Give me everything you've got, become one with me until one day you will experience what you were born to feel."


Life is a ride on the great wave of time/space.  It is the greatest experience of existence and yet the greatest challenge. It's interesting that in the Gospel of Mark Jesus is described as being asleep in the back of the boat as the disciples are tossed mercilessly about by a storm on the lake.  When, finally, he awakens, he rebukes the wind, calming the storm, and says to them, “Why are you so afraid? Do you still have no faith?” (Mark 4:39)


Recently, I was speaking with someone who was very discouraged with his job search. While he manages a national retail store, he is challenged by a micromanaging power hierarchy and earns what he considers to be very low pay for all his efforts.  He sounded frustrated with his search for a more meaningful livelihood.  I completely understand how he feels.  I'm sure we all do.  We all have reached for something that we dearly wanted and found it illusive.  


In the past, we were able to reach for, work hard, use all the wiles in our command and attain what we sought.  He told me about times when he was successful at almost everything he ever pursued.  He had earned a lot of money, yet he lost it when the economy nosedived.  


"Why?" he asked, rhetorically, observing back then, he also was an atheist.  


"Why now," he said, "when I believe in God, is this happening?"


It seemed to him it should be the reverse.  I wanted to respond, but instead, remained soberly attentive, respectful of his angst.  Who hasn't been where he is right now?


"Don't you know that God chasens the ones he loves?  And, anyone who calls on Him and declares his open heart to Him, will be brought into the fold, but that means he may be chased by God, until he's caught," I wanted to say. 


It certainly seems God doesn't have a lot of interest in supporting and endorsing the collective illusion we call life on planet Earth.  In fact, God has other plans, those which we don't see, nor do we yet understand, which may call for the dissolving of our terrible illusion which is leading us further away from the necessary introspection where we would experience the great encounter. Those of us who have been challenged by God's ways, do see it, albeit dimly through a glass darkly, but we do know - at the very least - that something's up.  The divine surf is up and we have only one choice:  ride it or die.


Instead, I told him to give up and enjoy the summer.  Mother nature only takes a two-month vacation and if you miss it, you have to wait another year for her return.  In my heart, I wanted to go to the beach with a bottle of baby oil and a big lush towel and feel the heartbeat of the earth and listen to the waves as Lake Erie rhythmically washed ashore on the Hamburg beach.  I wanted to take our sailboat out into the lake until I couldn't see the Canadian or U.S. shores and watch the water breathing, rising and falling, heaving her heavy body as she moved in a slow dance with the motion of life beneath and above her.  


I wanted to feel the radiance of the sun on my face and even the burn on my shoulders.  I wanted to let the sails softly carry me on a long run on the lake. In a way, I was tired of sailing into the storms of life.  I dearly wanted a respite. 


Like the young man I spoke with, I'm in no mood to fight with the lake in an attempt to cross her. I've done that. I've sailed across to a Canadian town, using only a compass and a map, thrilled by the challenge of having faced Lake Erie's eight-foot waves, darkening skies, and our rain-slicked sails.  I loved the challenge.  It called up everything in me, all my strength.  I even broke a rib once trimming the main sail in a storm with my husband at the helm. I didn't even know I'd broken it until the next day when I couldn't move my arm.  But, it was worth it.  It was so well worth it.  Any sacrifice would have been worth the challenge of the ride in the wind and the rain.


I thought about this man's angst and I thought about my own angst over the economy, the future - my future and our human family's future.  I had been worrying.  Who isn't?


But, I've come to realize that life is like that Gospel storm on the lake, and Jesus - or the great divine parent who really, really is there - is in the back of the boat. We can trust that.  We have to trust that and if we're unwilling to enter into the great power of such a trust, we will continue to be thrown around, tossed.  Will the boat sink?  Will life throw us overboard? I don't want to find out.  


We have only two choices:  ride it or fight it.  If we fight life, we won't be able to master the ocean and we'll drown. Only fools would do that.  But, we all do it until we encounter the unbeatable, unmatchable power. Watch the news.  There are a lot of people drowning.  


Those who survive are those who trust God, the great divine, the "universe," whomever or whatever and by any name you call it ("A rose by any name would smell as sweet," Shakespeare said). They are those who have surrendered their will to "God's" will, which clearly means to ride with life, not against it, also a concept in the I Ching.  When we become wise enough to realize we are not in control of our lives, or nature, we will begin to surrender and in our surrendering, we will learn to ride because we will ride.  


It's then, when we surrender the helm to God, that we find our boat is able to navigate the storms.  While it will still challenge everything we've got in us, only then will we feel the power of the ocean below our feet, in our sails and then we will know we are alive and enter into a kind of joyousness we can't even imagine now. And, I suppose, when the wave breaks in the shallows then we'll be washed onto the shore to rest in the sun while the tide softly withdraws, giving us respite until she returns to carry us out again, into the vast mystery of her universal tidal ride.

2 comments:

  1. You speak to surrender as an essential element of faith and I quite agree. In fact, it's one of my favorite topics and a continuing central theme in my own spiritual development. I suspect it's why we find so much good faith in evidence within communities of people who gather to work and share on recovery from lethal afflictions like addiction, alcoholism, cancer, and serious mental illness, to name but a few. We are released from the yolks of these burden by surrendering to them, not by throwing them off as we so fondly imagine.

    My own greatest advances have come from within those kinds of communities as we share the actualities and angst of our struggles and the peaceful bliss of our ultimate surrenders, to faith and to God however we understand Her, a bliss that's far more intoxicating than whatever false Gods we had been chasing in our prior lives. We inspire and unintentionally instruct each other as seek and share our evolving paths.

    But the very word "surrender" is so inimical to our national image, our programmed-from-birth senses of ourselves. It connotes defeat, even as it remains the essential key to the peaceful comfort we all desire and seek. I have dear friends facing incurable diseases who are still struggling, as they have done all their lives with success, both of them being brilliant creative people. But this is bigger than they are and they have not found faith and surrender. It breaks my heart to watch but all I can do is share my experiences when they ask and include them in my prayers, that they may find those gifts.

    Thanks for reminding us of the necessity of surrender. It's so easy to forget, to pick up the habit of pointless struggle again. We need reminders, and a supportive community. Thanks for being part of mine.

    With gratitude for all you do for all of us,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for all this noise, but I already confessed that this is one of my favorite topics.

    One of several ironies and paradoxes within this topic (surrender) is that others often see what they think to be great courage in the most surrendered acts; acts based wholly or largely on faith. I've never been as surrendered and both guided and buoyed by faith as I was during my working time on the ground over the years in Palestine on an assistance mission of my own making. My heart never skipped a single beat quietly facing down the loaded guns and shots of settlers, soldiers and masked militants alike (indeed, all three at different times, one of my signature distinctions). In fact, I've never known such peace in my heart, never been so completely confident about why I'm still here after God winked and saved my life some 23 years ago. Those who were with me or heard of the threats we faced trying to do our little bit of good often saw great courage and great conviction (read hubris), such western ideals. The actuality was far more compelling and beautiful, it was the most complete surrender I've ever known. I still feel waves of peace wash over me whenever I reflect on and savor the memories.

    Thanks for an excuse to refresh and savor them again. Surrender is so elusive. Like happiness, I don't think it can be directly sought. Rather, and also like happiness, we can use our knowledge and the shared intimate experiences of others close to us to help us remember to do the little things (like acts of prayer) that will provide fertile ground in our souls for its growth.

    With gratitude again, for all you do for all of us,

    Jim

    ReplyDelete