Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Invitation



This is an invitation to you, written on the finest card stock, edged in lovely gold, and scripted by hand from heaven.  It is a very personal invitation, addressed to you, and it is requesting an RSVP. Dress is casual but black tie is preferred.  You don't need to bring a casserole, but you are welcome to bring your favorite wine with some French or Italian bread. Oh, and, bring your dancing shoes!



My dearest children,
the honor of your presence is requested
at the grand ball of life,
a party unlike any you've ever attended before.
Like the game of make-believe you played as a child,
you can be anything or anyone you desire,
you can do anything you want,
you can be as rich or as poor,
as happy or as sad,
as healthy or as sick,
as loving or as mean,
as you desire.
It's all up to you.  

If you come to my party with a frown on your face,
then I know you decided to wear that mask to the party;
if you come, all tattered and poor,
then I know you decided to wear those sad rags;
if you come coughing and sneezing, arthritic and sick,
then I know you wanted to feel weak and victim 
because you felt you lacked and therefore needed love and sympathy;
if you come wearing a military uniform, with medals,
then I know you wanted to prove that you are brave;
if you come naked,
then I know you liked the clothes 
     I gave you at your birth. 
(Although, it makes me chuckle to see you with a black tie in no clothes)

 I love laughter best of all.
I love joy most of all
I love, love - ohh - I'm the biggest romantic in all the neighborhood of universes;
I love tenderness and music, and sometimes on a Friday night, a great Jim Carrey movie.
(Not necessarily all of them, of course!)

So, come to the ball and wear your favorite attire.
I can't wait to see you, it's been a long time and
I've missed you so very, very much.
I don't care what you wear or who you are,
just come and enjoy!
I love you.

Signed,
The Keeper of the Universe

P.S.
Just a little reminder,
you can check all your fears and negative self-esteem 
at the coat desk outside the hall.  
There's no charge, of course!




No comments:

Post a Comment